I have been planning on making Sopa de Platano (Plantain Soup) for a while now, but something always has gotten in the way. The last time I tried I had my green plantains already but something came up and a few days later when I was ready again, the plantains had already ripened and were no longer viable for Plantain Soup. Not to go to waste I turned them into Canoas de Platano Maduro (see the recipe here).
So this time, I made sure that as soon as I got the green plantains home, I was ready to cook. This is a fairly basic Sopa de Platano recipe, but it turned out really tasty.
What you will need:
- 3 large or 4 medium Green Plantains
- 7 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Stock (or use stock cubes and water)
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 5 Garlic Gloves
- 1 large or 2 medium Carrots (chopped)
- ¼ Cup of Cilantro
- ¼ Teaspoon of Ground Cumin
- Saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes until softened (careful not to burn the garlic)
- Carefully peel the plantains and cut into ½ inch pieces
- Add the broth, carrots, plantains and ground cumin and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for around 30 minutes until the plantains are tender
- Carefully transfer to a blender (but keep some of the broth in reserve)
- Puree and check the consistency of the soup
- Add more broth until you obtain your desired consistency
- Transfer to individual bowls and sprinkle with cilantro
Serve with some fresh crusty bread and enjoy…..