These Twice Fried Stuffed Mofongo Balls make for a super easy and tasty snack, that can be stuffed with Carne Moilda, Shrimp ov even Vegetables.
This is what you will need:
- 2 Green Plantains
- 1 cup Chicharron (Pork Scratchings, Pork Rinds)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (or Puree equivalent)
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- Carne Molida or Shrimp for the stuffing
- Peel the Plantains and cut into 1 – 1.5 inch pieces
- Heat oil to 350F and fry the plantains until browned 3-5mins (Fry in small batches so that the temperature of the oil does not drop)
- Drain in a paper towel.
- Crush the Chicharron in a plastic bag.
- In a Pilon (Wooden Mortar & Pestle) or bowl mash plantains and mix in the garlic, crushed chicharron, vegetable oil, and the chicken broth.
- Allow to cool a little and take a 1 tablespoon of the plantain mixture at a time and flatten in the palm of your hand. Add a small amount of the filling and form a ball.
- Fry the balls until they are golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper
Enjoy with the dipping sauce of your choice.
Check out more RECIPES here