Tres Leches Cake; delicious and extremely popular here in Puerto Rico.
The cake gets its name from the 3 milks (tres leches) that are used to soak a sponge cake. Once the cake is completely soaked the cake is then topped with a whipped creamed. The cake is light, moist and extremely tasty.
Now I am not a huge fan of baking, but I have always wanted to make Tres Leches Cake and to my surprise this recipe turned out a decent version, even though I do say so myself. The Tres Leches also got the approval of my wife…
- 6 large or 7 medium eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Three Milk Ingredients:
- 1 14 -ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14 -ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups Full Fat Milk
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking dish
- Separate the eggs
- In a bowl beat the egg whites on low until soft peaks form
- Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites and mix until you have stiff peaks
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks until they are a pale yellow in color
- Carefully add the egg yolks to the egg whites and mix using a slow folding motion
- Sift the flour and baking powder to remove any lumps
- Add Vanilla Extract to the egg mixture
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk
- Pour into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish
- Bake for 25 mins or until the cake is lightly golden on top and when pierced with a toothpick, the toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool
3 Milk mixture:
- In a blender (or use your mixer), combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, full fat milk and blend / mix on high speed.
Soak the cake:
- Prick the top of the cake all over
- Slowly pour the milk mixture on top of the cake, making sure you cover the whole top surface
- Repeat until all the milk mixture is gone
- Cover the cake and place in refrigerate for 1-2 hours (or even overnight)
- Remove from the refrigerator
- Combine the heavy cream with the sugar and mix until you have a fairly stiff whipped consistency
- Spread evenly over the top of the cake
That’s it. Serve and enjoy…
Note: The above recipe gives in my opinion a nice moist cake that is not overly swimming in tres leches or is overly sweet.
Some recipes I have seen call for more tres leches volume or use heavy cream instead of milk or more condensed milk. If you prefer your cake sweeter or milkier, then increase the ratio / volume of Tres Leches mixture.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out more here