Cielito Lindo is a super tasty, easy to make dip, that always seems to be on the table at a Puerto Rican party.
Now based on the ingredients, I do not think its origins are Puerto Rican, but like I said, it is extremely popular here in Puerto Rico.
All you need is seven ingredients (eight if you decide to add carne molida), a large dish and a few minutes to put everything together.
So what do you need to make Cielito Lindo:
- 2 packets (blocks) of cream cheese (Philadelphia works well)
- 1/2-cup sour cream
- 2 cans refried beans
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 jars (14 oz. each) salsa (chunky is best)
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 cups Grated cheddar & mozzarella cheese
- Glass dish or tray (9×9” works well)
- Soften the cream cheese and mix in the sour cream
- Add the refried beans to the dish and spread into an even layer
- Spread the cream cheese on top of the beans to make the next layer
- Add a layer of lettuce
- Add a layer of salsa
- Add a layer of the chopped tomatoes
- Finally add a layer of the shredded cheese
You can beef the recipe up by adding a layer of carne molida as your first layer
That’s all there is too it.
Serve with your favorite chips or cracker and enjoy.
Confession – on occasions I have been known to warm the dip in the oven / microwave before eating :o)
Check out more recipes here