There are several staple rice dishes here in Puerto Rico and one that is popular in our house is Arroz Mamposteao; which is basically a combination of bean stew with cooked rice. It’s simply delicious and this version is so easy to make.
- 3 cups of Cooked White Rice (use your preferred method)
- 7oz Bacon diced(I have also used Pancetta)
- ½ Onion
- ½ Green Pepper
- 1 sachet of Sazon Goya
- 1tsp Adobe Seasoning
- ½ tsp Curmin Powder
- 1tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 small can Tomato Sauce
- 2-3 tbsp Goya Sofrito Tomato Cooking Base
- 1 can Pink Beans
- Cook the white rice using your preferred method and set aside
- Cook the bacon or pancetta on medium heat for 6-8 minutes
- Add the diced onion and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Combine the Sazon, Tomato Sauce, Sazon, Adobo, Curmin, orgegano, pepper, Sofrito Base and Beans. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes
- Finally add the cooked rice and mix well.
Additionally, you could also add ripe plantains to the mix, to add a touch of sweetness
Arroz Mamposteao makes for a great side dish or just fill a bowl and enjoy for a snack or late supper.